Try out this amazing Maltese dish and impress your family and friends
- 1kg carobs
- 1kg sugar
- 1/2 tsp cloves ground
- 1) Wipe pods clean, then wash in 3 to 4 changes of water.
- 2) Roast for about 10 minutes in one layer.
- 3) Let cool, then bread each pod in 3 or 4 pieces.
- 4) Soak overnight in about 2 liters water.
- 5) Bring to boil in same water, hence simmer for 30 minutes.
- 6) Drain the liquid pressing pods to extract maximum juice (discard pods).
- 7) Add sugar and cloves, then boil for 30 minutes.
- 8) Cool completely (you can add whiskey to taste).
- Store in sterilized jars. If the mixture is too thick you can add more water.