Aromatic Asian herbs and spices make this complete chicken dinner into a mouthwatering delight.
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil
- 1 brown onion, halved, finely chopped
- 5cm piece fresh ginger or galangal, peeled, thinly sliced
- 2 stems lemon grass, pale section only, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 250ml (1 cup) chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 teaspoon fish sauce
- 5 fresh kaffir lime leaves, centre vein removed, torn
- 250g (1 1/4 cups) jasmine rice
- 250g green beans, topped, tailed, cut in half diagonally
- 4 (about 1kg) single chicken breast fillets
- 250ml (1 cup) coconut cream
- Pinch of salt
- Fresh coriander leaves, to garnish
- 1 fresh red birdseye chilli, thinly sliced, to serve
- Heat the oil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the onion, ginger or galangal, lemon grass and garlic, and cook, stirring, for 3 minutes or until onion softens.
- Add the cumin, coriander and turmeric and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds or until fragrant. Add the stock, fish sauce and lime leaves and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes or until reduced slightly.
- Meanwhile, cook the rice following packet directions or until tender. Add the beans to the rice in the last 5 minutes of cooking. Drain.
- Preheat a chargrill on high. Add the chicken and cook for 4 minutes each side or until brown and just cooked through. Transfer to a plate and cover with foil to keep warm.
- Add the coconut cream to the stock mixture and simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes or until the sauce thickens slightly. Taste and season with salt. Remove from heat. Strain the sauce through a fine sieve into a heatproof jug.
- Spoon the rice and beans among shallow serving bowls. Cut chicken diagonally across the grain into thick slices. Arrange the chicken over the rice. Pour over the laksa sauce. Top with coriander leaves and chilli, and serve immediately.