Lovers of chocolate Bounty bars rejoice - this is a cake just for you! Layers of rich gluten-free chocolate torte topped with sweet coconut and smothered in dark chocolate glaze.
- 50g raw cacao powder
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 150g coconut oil, melted, cooled
- 3 eggs, at room temperature
- 150g macadamia meal
- 1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate soda
- Pinch salt
- 1 1/2 cups icing sugar, sifted
- 1 1/3 cups desiccated coconut
- 2 egg whites, lightly beaten
- 150g dark eating chocolate
- 30g coconut oil
- Preheat oven to 170C or 150C fan-force. Grease and line base and sides of a 22cm springform pan with baking paper.
- Combine cacao and boiling water in a small bowl. Cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, using an electric mixer with the paddle attachment, beat sugar, coconut oil and eggs for 3 minutes or until smooth and thickened.
- Combine macadamia meal, bicarbonate and salt in a bowl.
- With motor on low speed, beat cacao mixture through egg mixture. Add almond mixture and stir until combined. Spoon batter into prepared pan and bake for 40-45 minutes or until a crust has formed but the cake is still slightly wobbly in the centre. Stand pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Remove sides of pan and stand to cool completely. Remove base of pan.
- Make coconut layer: Stir sugar, coconut, eggs until combined. Spread over chocolate cake.
- Make glaze: Melt chocolate and coconut oil in a heatproof bowl over a saucepan of boiling water (make sure base doesn€™t touch the water). Stir until smooth. Remove from heat and stand to cool slightly.
- Place cake on a wire rack over a sheet of baking paper underneath. Pour chocolate glaze over cake. Using a spatula, spread over top and sides, letting excess drip off onto paper (see Note). Chill cake until glaze sets.