Master the art of gluten-free baking with this fabulous butter cake recipe.
- 250g butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups (310g) caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
- 4 eggs
- 3 cups (375g) gluten-free self-raising flour
- 1 cup (250ml) milk
- 1/2 cup (125ml) raspberry jam
- 300ml pure cream
- 1 cup (120g) gluten-free icing sugar mixture
- 2 teaspoons milk, extra
- Pink liquid food colouring
- Preheat oven to 180C. Grease and line the base and sides of two 20cm round (base measurement) cake pans with baking paper.
- Use an electric mixer to beat the butter, sugar and vanilla until pale and creamy. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well between each addition. Add the flour and milk, in alternating batches, stirring until just combined. Divide evenly among the prepared. Smooth the surface with the back of a spoon.
- Bake in preheated oven for 40-45 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the centres comes out clean. Set aside for 5 minutes before turning on a wire rack to cool completely.
- Use an electric mixer to whisk the cream until firm peaks form. Use a serrated knife to trim the top of a cake. Place on a serving plate. Spread the jam over the top of the cake. Spoon the cream over the jam. Top with the remaining cake.
- Combine the icing sugar and extra milk to form a smooth paste. Tint with the pink food colouring. Drizzle icing over the top of the cake. Set aside to set.