Try out this amazing Maltese dish and impress your family and friends
- 1kg self-raising flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 50g fresh yeast
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 cup warm water
- 60g melted butter
- Extra warm water
- 1. Dissolve the yeast and the sugar in a cup of warm water until the mixture is frothy.
- 2. Mix the flour and the salt in a large bowl and add the melted butter.
- 3. Add the yeast mixture and mix well.
- 4. Add the warm water as you go along to ensure a doughy consistency. When done, the dough should not be sticky.
- 5. Knead the dough on a bench top. Then place in a large bowl, cover it and leave the dough to rest for an hour or so.
- 6. Knead the dough again and cut it in small portions.
- 7. Roll out the portions as thinly as possible (you can use a pasta machine) and with a scone cutter or a glass cut the pastry in small circles.
- 8. Place the individual circles on a lightly dusted oven tray and bake until they are golden brown.