Make simple week night dinners into special occasions with gourmet steak recipes like this one.
- 4 egg yolks, at room temperature
- 1 tablespoon white balsamic vinegar
- 125g butter, cut into 1cm cubes
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh tarragon
- Salt & ground white pepper
- 6 large silver beet leaves, white core removed, chopped
- Olive oil, to grease
- 4 (about 160g each) beef fillet steaks
- 3 field mushrooms, thickly sliced
- Place the egg yolks and vinegar in a medium heatproof bowl over a saucepan of barely simmering water (make sure the bowl doesn't touch the water). Use an egg whisk to whisk the egg yolks constantly for 3 minutes or until thick, pale and creamy, and a ribbon trail forms when the whisk is lifted.
- Add the butter, 1 cube at a time, whisking constantly and adding another cube only when the previous cube has been completely incorporated. Whisk in the tarragon. Remove from heat. Taste and season with salt and pepper.
- Top up the water in the saucepan, if necessary, and bring to the boil over medium heat. Add the silver beet and cook, stirring occasionally, for 1 minute or until just wilted (see microwave tip). Drain well.
- Meanwhile, preheat a large chargrill over medium-high heat. Brush with oil to lightly grease. Add the steaks and cook for 4 minutes each side for medium-rare or until cooked to your liking. Add the mushroom to the grill halfway through cooking the steaks. Cook, turning occasionally, for 4 minutes or until mushroom is tender.
- Place silver beet and mushroom on serving plates. Top with the steaks and spoon over the bearnaise sauce. Serve immediately.