Try this cracker of a snack: fried parsnip ribbons with a sprinkle of spiced chilli salt.
- Vegetable oil, to deep-fry
- 2 (about 450g) parsnips, peeled into ribbons
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon finely grated orange rind
- 1/2 teaspoon chilli flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- To make the chilli salt, combine the sea salt, orange rind, chilli flakes and cumin in a small bowl.
- Add oil to a large, non-stick frying pan to come 5cm up the side of the pan. Heat oil to 170°C over medium-high heat (when the oil is ready a cube of bread will turn golden in 20 seconds). Deep-fry the parsnip, in batches, for 1 minute or until crisp and golden. Use a slotted spoon to transfer to a baking tray lined with paper towel. Sprinkle with chilli salt.