Chicken soup is like food for the soul and this one will give you an instant pick-me-up.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium carrot, diced
- 1 large stick celery, thinly sliced
- 1 medium potato, peeled and diced
- 6 cups (1.5 litres) chicken stock
- 300g chicken breast fillets, diced
- 50g dried spaghettini pasta, broken into 5cm pieces
- 2 tablespoons chopped flat eaf parsley leaves
- Thick wholegrain toast, to serve
- Heat oil in a saucepan over medium heat until hot. Add onion and cook, stirring often, for 3 minutes. Add carrot, celery and potato and cook, stirring often, for 5 minutes.
- Add stock, cover and bring to the boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Add chicken and pasta, partially cover and cook for 8-10 minutes or until pasta is tender.
- Stir through parsley. Season to taste. Ladle soup into serving bowls and serve with wholegrain toast.