Try out this amazing Maltese dish and impress your family and friends
- 400 g frozen puff pastry
- 250 ml milk
- 250 ml cream
- 30 g butter
- 5 ml vanilla essence
- 80 ml caster sugar
- 45 ml custard powder
- 15 ml cornflour
- 60 ml water
- 3 egg yolk
- Pre-heat oven to 200Â°C.
- Roll out puff pastry and cut in squares ( approx 4 x 5 cm).
- Place on baking tray (I line it with baking paper) and bake for 10 - 15 minutes until puffed and golden-brown.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool on a cooling rack.
- Heat the milk, cream and butter until just under boiling point.
- Remove from heat and add the vanilla essence.
- Mix custard powder, sugar and cornflour with a small amount of water to a smooth paste.
- Add the custard mixture to the warm milk mixture and stir until smooth.
- Add the egg yolks and once again, stir until smooth.
- Heat slowly over a low temperature until boiling point, stirring continuously, and leave to simmer for about 5 minutes or until thickened and cooked.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool till room temperature.
- In the meanwhile, halve the puff pastry squares.
- Spoon a thick layer of the custard filling onto one half of the pastry square.
- Place the top half of the square on top of the custard.
- Gently sieve/dust puff pastry lid with icing sugar.