Live the American dream with star-spangled Cubano pork sandwiches, inspired by classic US diners.
- 4 x 250g pork neck steaks
- 1 loaf ciabatta or focaccia
- American mustard
- 120g (3/4 cup) sliced pickles
- 8 thick slices carved leg ham
- 12 slices Swiss cheese
- 60ml (1/4 cup) extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 60ml (1/4 cup) lemon juice
- 180ml (3/4 cup) orange juice
- 1/2 teaspoon dried chilli flakes
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped oregano
- Preheat oven to 180C. To make marinade, heat oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic, and cook, stirring occasionally, for 8 minutes or until soft. Add remaining ingredients and 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, and bring just to a simmer.
- Prick pork all over, add to marinade and cook, partially covered with a lid, for 1 hour or until very tender. Remove pork, reserving cooking liquid. Cool slightly, then shred pork.
- Meanwhile, simmer reserved cooking liquid over medium heat for 10 minutes or until reduced by half. Remove from heat, add pork, then season with salt.
- Cut ends from bread and discard, then cut widthwise into 4 pieces. Halve each piece horizontally, then spread the cut sides with mustard. Layer bottom pieces of bread with pickles, ham, pork mixture and cheese. Top with bread lids. Working in 2 batches, cook in a sandwich press for 5 minutes or until bread is toasted, cheese is melted and filling is warmed through. Alternatively, cook sandwiches in a preheated 180C oven for 15 minutes.