Fry wafer-thin vegie slices for rainbow chips, finished with lip-smacking salt.
- 350g Red Delight potatoes, unpeeled
- 300g sweet potato, unpeeled
- 350g beetroot, unpeeled, trimmed
- Vegetable oil, to deep-fry
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons finely grated lime rind
- Use a mandolin or a sharp knife to cut the potatoes and sweet potatoes into 1.3mm-thick slices. Place in a bowl. Repeat with beetroot and place in a separate bowl.
- To make the lime salt, combine the sea salt and lime rind in a small bowl. Season with pepper.
- Add oil to a large saucepan to reach a depth of 6cm. Heat the oil to 170C over medium heat (when the oil is ready a cube of bread will turn golden brown in 20 seconds). Cook the potato mixture, in 8 batches, turning, for 3-4 minutes or until golden and crisp. Use a slotted spoon to transfer to a baking tray lined with paper towel. Sprinkle with a little lime salt.
- Cook the beetroot slices in 4 batches, turning, for 4-5 minutes or until golden and crisp. Use a slotted spoon to transfer the beetroot slices to a baking tray lined with paper towel. Sprinkle with a little lime salt.
- Place the vegie chips in a large bowl. Toss to combine. Divide among paper cones. Serve with remaining lime salt.