Create the ultimate Christmas main with this crispy roast pork served with a spiced cherry port sauce. For easy slicing, turn the roast down on the crackle side and slice.
- 2kg Australian Full Pork Rolled Loin
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons sea salt flakes
- 2 teaspoons cracked black pepper
- 1 tablespoon fennel seeds
- Steamed greens, to serve
- Roasted potatoes, to serve
- Spiced cherry port sauce
- 300g fresh cherries, pitted
- 2 tablespoons caster sugar
- 1 cinnamon stick or quill
- 1 star anise
- 1 teaspoon mixed spice
- 1/4 cup (60ml) port
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons cornflour
- 1/2 cup (125ml) chicken stock
- Preheat oven to 230C.
- Place the pork on a plate. Thoroughly pat the rind dry with paper towel. Rub the pork with oil. Sprinkle with the salt, pepper and fennel seeds to coat, rubbing into the rind and cuts. Place the pork, rind-side up, in a roasting pan. Cook for 30 mins or until skin starts to crackle and crisp. Reduce oven temperature to 180C and cook for a further 1 hour 20 mins or until just cooked through. Cover with foil and set aside for 15 mins to rest.
- Meanwhile, to make the spiced cherry port sauce, place the cherries, sugar, cinnamon, star anise, mixed spice and 1 tbsp water in a frying pan over medium-high heat. Cook, carefully shaking pan occasionally, for 3 mins or until sugar dissolves and cherries just start to soften. Add the port and vinegar. Cook for 1 min. Combine the cornflour and stock in a small jug. Add to the cherry mixture. Cook, stirring, for 2 mins or until mixture bubbles and thickens. Cook for a further 1 min or until sauce darkens slightly. Transfer to a serving bowl.
- Serve the pork with steamed greens, potatoes and cherry sauce.