With Easter a week away, you need to get into chocolate training and these chocolate-flavoured pancakes smothered in chocolate-hazelnut sauce should improve your condition in no time.
- Melted butter, to grease
- Double cream, to serve
- 1 x 100g pkt hazelnuts
- 300g (2 cups) self-raising flour
- 30g (1/4 cup) cocoa powder
- 55g (1/4 cup) caster sugar
- 480g (2 cups) smooth ricotta
- 375ml (1 1/2 cups) milk
- 2 eggs, separated
- 200g good-quality dark cooking chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 185ml (3/4 cup) thin cream
- 1 x 220g ctn Nutella chocolate hazelnut spread
- 60ml (1/4 cup) Frangelico liqueur
- Preheat oven to 200°C. Spread the hazelnuts over a baking tray. Cook for 10 minutes or until toasted. Remove from oven. Reduce heat to 100°C. Place hazelnuts on a clean tea towel and rub to remove skins. Coarsely chop.
- Meanwhile, to make the sauce, place chocolate and cream in a heatproof bowl over a saucepan of simmering water (make sure the bowl doesn't touch the water). Cook, stirring, until the chocolate melts. Add the Nutella and Frangelico and stir until heated through. Transfer to a jug. Place plastic wrap directly on the surface of the sauce and set aside until required.
- To make the pancakes, sift the flour and cocoa powder into a bowl. Add sugar and make a well in the centre. Whisk the ricotta, milk and egg yolks together in a bowl. Add the ricotta mixture to the flour mixture, stirring until smooth. Cover and set aside for 20 minutes to rest.
- Use an electric beater to whisk the egg whites in a clean, dry bowl until soft peaks form. Gently fold the egg whites into the pancake batter.
- Brush a non-stick frying pan with a little of the melted butter to lightly grease and heat over medium heat. Pour two 60ml (1/4-cup) quantities of batter into the pan, allowing room for spreading. Cook for 1-2 minutes or until bubbles appear on surface and pancakes are golden underneath. Turn and cook for a further 1 minute or until golden. Transfer to a heatproof plate and loosely cover with foil. Place in oven to keep warm. Repeat, in 8 more batches, with remaining melted butter and batter, reheating the pan between batches.
- Divide the pancakes among serving plates. Top with double cream and drizzle with hazelnut sauce. Sprinkle with hazelnuts to serve.