These delightful chocolate bread puddings with hazelnuts are so good that you would never guess that that they are low-kilojoule and low-GI.
- 4 slices Burgen bread, crusts trimmed
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Nutella
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon custard powder
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup (250ml) low-fat milk
- 2 tablespoons chopped hazelnuts
- Preheat an oven to 170°C. Spread the bread with Nutella and cut into 2cm squares. Divide the bread squares between 4 x 1-cup capacity ramekins. Sit the ramekins in a baking dish and fill the baking dish with water to come halfway up the sides of the ramekins.
- Whisk together the eggs, custard powder and sugar. Whisk in the milk gradually. Pour the custard over the bread and sprinkle with the hazelnuts. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until puffed and golden. Serve immediately.