The earthy crunch of hazelnuts with the richness of chocolate in this tart is a classic Italian dessert combination.
- 300g packet Careme chocolate pastry (see note)
- 100g unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup (165g) caster sugar
- 1/2 cup (175g) golden syrup
- 1/2 cup (165g) Nutella
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons Frangelico or other hazelnut liqueur
- 1/2 cup (75g) roasted hazelnuts
- Icing sugar, to dust
- Grease a 36cm x 12cm loose-bottomed, fluted rectangular tart pan. Line the pan with the pastry, trimming any excess. Re-roll the pastry trimmings until 5mm thick, then use a fluted pastry cutter to cut into long strips and place on a lined tray. Place the pastry case and strips in the refrigerator to chill for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Prick the pastry base with a fork, then line it with baking paper and fill with pastry weights or uncooked rice. Bake for 8 minutes, then remove paper and weights and return to the oven for 3 minutes or until crisp and dry. Reduce oven to 160°C.
- Place butter and caster sugar in a saucepan over low heat and stir until sugar has dissolved. Add golden syrup and Nutella, stirring until smooth. Set aside to cool slightly. Stir in eggs, Frangelico and nuts. Pour into pastry case, then arrange pastry strips in a lattice pattern on top. Bake for 45 minutes or until filling is set. Cool, dust with icing sugar, slice and serve.