Play for time by biting off more than you can chew of this tasty sandwich stack. The combination of sourdough bread, pancetta, pesto mayonnaise, avocado and peppery rocket will make this dish the toast of the table.
- 190g (3/4 cup) whole egg mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons bought basil pesto
- 1 large sourdough bread loaf, cut into 24 thin slices
- 18 slices (about 150g) pancetta
- 1 large avocado, halved, stone removed, peeled, thinly sliced
- 1 bunch rocket, ends trimmed
- 300g smoked chicken breast, thinly sliced
- 6 cherry tomatoes
- Combine the mayonnaise and pesto in a small bowl.
- Preheat a grill on high. Place half the bread on a baking tray. Cook under grill for 1-2 minutes each side or until toasted. Repeat with the remaining bread.
- Meanwhile, heat a non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat. Add one-third of the pancetta and cook for 3 minutes each side or until crisp and golden. Transfer to a plate lined with paper towel. Repeat, in 2 more batches, with the remaining pancetta, reheating the pan between batches.
- Spread 6 slices of toast with half the pesto mayonnaise and top with pancetta. Top with 6 of the remaining slices of toast and the avocado and rocket. Top with 6 of the remaining slices of toast, spread with the remaining pesto mayonnaise and top with chicken. Finish with the remaining toast.
- Thread a cherry tomato onto the end of each skewer and use to secure sandwiches. Serve immediately.