For a healthy twist to a traditional Mexican dish, serve up these chicken and fennel quesadillas! Recipe by Michael Weldon, MasterChef Australia Series 3 contestant.
- 600g RSPCA Approved Chicken Thigh Fillets
- 1 brown onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 teaspoons fennel seeds
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chilli flakes
- 2/3 cup orange juice
- 4 kale leaves, trimmed, shredded
- 4 Old El Paso Tortillas
- 2 tablespoons drained sliced pickled jalapeÃ±os
- 1/2 cup coriander leaves
- 1 1/2 cups (180g) grated tasty cheese
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- Sour cream, to serve
- Old El Paso Mild Taco Sauce, to serve
- Preheat oven to 140C. Season chicken with salt and pepper. Combine the chicken, onion, fennel seeds, chilli flakes and orange juice in a medium baking dish. Cover with foil and bake for 1 1/2 hours or until the chicken is tender enough to pull apart with a fork. Add the kale and stir until wilted. Discard any excess liquid. Shred the chicken.
- Top half of each tortilla with the chicken mixture, jalapeÃ±os, coriander and cheese. Fold the tortilla over to enclose.
- Heat half the oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Cook 2 quesadillas for 1 min each side or until golden and cheese has melted. Repeat with remaining oil and quesadillas.
- Cut quesadillas into quarters. Serve with sour cream and taco sauce.