Try this classic Turkish dish of chicken, spinach and feta wrapped in a delicious golden-brown pastry.
- 250ml (1 cup) milk
- 60g butter, chopped
- 1 1/2 tablespoons caster sugar
- 125ml (1/2 cup) warm water
- 2 teaspoons (7g/1 sachet) dried yeast
- 675g (4 1/2 cups) plain flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon water
- Lemon wedges, to serve
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 brown onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1kg chicken mince
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon sweet paprika
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano leaves
- 400g can diced tomatoes
- 200g baby spinach leaves
- 200g feta, crumbled
- To make the chicken and spinach filling, heat the oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until onion softens. Add the chicken mince and cook, stirring with a wooden spoon to break up any lumps, for 5 minutes or until mince changes colour. Add the tomato paste, paprika and oregano; cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until aromatic. Add the tomatoes and cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes or until sauce thickens slightly. Remove from heat. Add the spinach and toss until spinach wilts. Taste and season with salt and pepper. Set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, to make the dough, combine the milk and butter in small saucepan over low heat. Cook, stirring, for 3 minutes or until butter melts and mixture is lukewarm. Remove from heat.
- Combine the sugar, water and yeast in a small bowl. Set aside for 3 minutes or until foaming.
- Combine the milk mixture and yeast mixture in a large bowl. Add the flour and salt and stir to form a dough. Turn onto a lightly floured surface and knead for 10 minutes or until smooth and elastic. Shape into a ball and place in a bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and set aside in a warm, draught-free place for 1 hour or until dough doubles in size.
- Preheat oven to 200C. Lightly grease 2 baking trays with oil. Use your fist to knock back the dough. Divide into eight even portions. Roll a dough portion out to a 15 x 25cm oval. Place one-eighth of the chicken mixture over the dough, leaving a 2cm boarder. Sprinkle with feta. Combine the egg yolk and water in a small bowl. Brush egg wash around the boarder. Pull dough up and fold over to partially cover the filling. Pleat the edge. Brush with egg wash and place on the lined tray. Repeat with remaining dough, chicken mixture and feta.
- Bake in preheated oven, swapping trays halfway through cooking, for 20 minutes or until golden brown and cooked through. Serve with lemon wedges.