Serve this moist gluten-free carrot cake with real cream cheese icing at afternoon tea and watch everyone come back for more.
- 1/3 cup rice flour
- 1/3 cup gluten-free cornflour
- 2 teaspoons gluten-free baking powder
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1 1/2 tablespoons mixed spice
- 2 cups almond meal (ground almonds)
- 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 carrots, peeled, grated
- 4 eggs, separated
- 2/3 cup walnuts, chopped
- 250g reduced-fat cream cheese, softened
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 cup pure icing sugar
- Preheat oven to 160°C. Grease and line an 8cm deep, 11cm x 21cm (base) loaf pan.
- Sift flours, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and mixed spice into a bowl. Add almond meal, sugar, carrot, egg yolks and half the walnuts. Mix well.
- Using an electric mixer, beat eggwhites until stiff peaks form. Fold into carrot mixture. Pour into pan. Bake for 50 to 60 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Cool cake in pan for 10 minutes. Turn onto a wire rack.
- Make cream cheese icing: Beat cream cheese, lemon juice and icing sugar until well combined. Refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- Spread icing over cake. Sprinkle with remaining walnuts and serve.