Cut the peppers in half and stuff, or just cut the tops of the peppers and stuff. Your choice.
- 10 peppers, tops cut off and kept aside
- 1 onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 500 grams mince beef
- half a courgette diced
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes
- 1 tin water
- 300 grams uncooked rice
- 3 tablespoons grated cheddar cheese
- 1 egg
- 4 tablespoons parsley
- Olive oil for frying baking
- Salt and pepper
- Cut peppers in half or just cut the tops off. Take out the seeds from inside the peppers.
- Fry onion and garlic in a frying pan with 1 tablespoon olive oil for five minutes or until golden brown.
- Add in the tomato paste and fry for 1 minute.
- Add in the mince and fry until brown (about 10 minutes).
- Add in the courgette and fry for a further two minutes.
- Add in the tomatoes and water and bring to boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 180oC.
- While the meat sauce is simmering cook the rice for 8 minutes. First bring a pot of water to the boil and add in the rice. Reduce heat and simmer the rice for 8 minutes. It should not be cooked through as it will cook more in the oven. Strain.
- While the rice is simmering add oil on the peppers (I use a pastry brush) and put in the oven for fifteen minutes.
- When the sauce has been simmering, remove from the heat and add in the rice, egg, cheese and parsley. Season with salt and pepper.
- Preheat oven again to 180oC.
- Fill the peppers with the mixture and place the tops on top (if not cutting them in half).
- Place in the oven for 40 minutes or until the peppers are cooked through.