You're sure to rule the roost with these winning buttermilk chicken schnitzels.
- 4 chicken breast fillets
- 300ml buttermilk
- 4 spring onions
- 2 dried bay leaves, crushed
- 140g (1/2 cup) Dijon mustard
- 150g (1 cup) plain flour
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 150g (2 cups) panko breadcrumbs (see note)
- Vegetable oil, to shallow-fry
- Mayonnaise and lemon wedges, to serve
- 1 small radicchio, outer leaves discarded
- 300g brussels sprouts, trimmed
- 100g (1 1/4 cups) flaked almonds, roasted
- 100g green or red grapes, sliced
- 1/4 cup finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 2 1/2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lemon, zested, juiced
- To marinate chicken, remove tenderloins (long, thin strips attached to the underside) from breasts, then halve breasts widthwise. Using a meat mallet or rolling pin, pound breast pieces and tenderloins until 1cm thick. Using a fork, prick all over. Place in a bowl with buttermilk. Cut tops from onions, leaving 5cm of the green part attached to the white part and reserve. Thinly slice tops and add to chicken mixture with bay leaves. Turn the chicken to coat in marinade, cover, and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, to make slaw, thinly slice reserved onions and place in a bowl. Using a mandolin or knife, finely shred radicchio and shave sprouts, then add to onions. Cover with damp paper towel.
- Drain chicken from marinade (there€™s no need to brush off onions or bay leaves) and place in a bowl. Add mustard and toss to coat. Place flour in a second bowl and season with salt and pepper. Place eggs in a third bowl and breadcrumbs in a fourth bowl. Dust chicken with flour, dip in egg, then coat in breadcrumbs. Place on a tray lined with baking paper. Chill for 15 minutes.
- Fill a large frying pan 2cm deep with oil. Heat over medium heat. Working in 2 batches, cook breast pieces for 4 minutes each side and tenderloins for 3 minutes each side, or until golden and cooked through. Drain on paper towel.
- To finish slaw, add remaining ingredients to brussels sprout mixture, season, then gently toss to combine.
- Serve slaw and schnitzels with mayonnaise and lemon wedges.