Using a dozen simple rules for cooking a basic butter cake, you'll be a baker in no time.
- 250g butter, softened
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups (300g) self-raising flour
- 1/2 cup milk
- Butter icing, to decorate
- Strawberry jam, to decorate
- White icing flours, to decorate
- Before starting, make sure all ingredients eggs, milk and butter are at room temperature. Preheat oven to 180C. Grease and line the base of two 20cm round cake pans.
- Use an electric mixer to beat the butter, sugar and vanilla in a bowl until pale and creamy. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Add the flour and milk, alternating, in batches, until just combined. Divide mixture evenly among the prepared pans and use the back of a spoon or small palate knife to smooth the surface. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the centres comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and cool in pan for about five minutes before turning on to a wire rack to cool completely. Place one cake on a serving platter. Spread with icing and jam, if desired. Top with remaining cake and decorate with more icing and icing flowers.