This bright-as-a-button cake will bring a smile to anyone's face.
- 375g unsalted butter, softened
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups caster sugar
- 4 eggs
- 4 1/2 cups self-raising flour
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- Violet, sky blue, leaf green, pink and lemon yellow gel food colourings
- 1 1/2 tablespoons banana-flavoured Nesquik powder (optional, see note)
- 2 teaspoons strawberry essence (optional, see note)
- 7 red, 18 orange, 24 yellow, 28 green and 36 blue M&Ms, to decorate
- 12 pink and 40 purple Smarties, to decorate
- 500g unsalted butter, softened
- 6 cups icing sugar mixture
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- White icing colouring (optional)
- Preheat oven to 180C/160C fan-forced. Grease two 7cm-deep, 20cm-round cake pans. Line base and sides with 2 layers of baking paper.
- Using an electric mixer, beat butter, vanilla and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating until combined after each addition. Add flour. Beat on low speed, gradually adding milk, until just combined. Divide mixture between 5 bowls. Using food colouring, tint 1 portion purple and remaining portions blue, green, pink and yellow. Add banana-flavoured powder to yellow mixture and strawberry essence to pink mixture, stirring to combine.
- Using half of each coloured mixture, drop tablespoons of the mixtures, alternating colours, into 1 prepared cake pan. Repeat with remaining mixtures and cake pan. Run a butter knife back and forth through both mixtures to create a slight marbled effect (don€™t over-marble). Bake cakes together for 1 hour or until a skewer inserted into the centre of each cake comes out clean (cover cakes loosely with foil if over-browning). Stand in pans for 10 minutes. Turn, top-side up, onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- Make Buttercream icing: Using electric mixer, beat butter for 5 minutes or until light and fluffy. Gradually beat in icing sugar until pale and fluffy. Add vanilla. Beat until combined. Add enough white colouring, if using, to make icing white.
- Using a serrated knife, level tops of cakes if necessary. Place 1 cake on serving plate. Spread 3/4 cup of icing over top of cake. Top with second cake. Spread remaining icing over top and side of cake. Using picture as a guide, decorate top with M&Ms and Smarties. Use remaining colours for the row along the base. Serve.