Watch the kids faces light up when you unveil these cute birthday cupcakes.
- 250g unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups (330g) caster sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 eggs
- 3 cups (450g) self-raising flour, sifted
- 1 cup milk
- Assorted lollies, to decorate
- 125g unsalted butter, softened
- 250g cream cheese, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 cups (640g) icing sugar, sifted
- Preheat oven to 180C. Using an electric mixer, beat butter, sugar, 1/4 teaspoon salt and vanilla until light and fluffy. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Add 1/2 the sifted flour and 1/2 milk and stir until combined, then add remaining flour and milk and stir until combined.
- Line two 12-hole (1/3-cup capacity) muffin tins with paper cake cases. Spoon 2 tablespoons mixture into each paper case, then bake for 20 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre of a cake comes out clean. Cool cakes in tin.
- For frosting, using an electric mixer, beat butter, cream cheese and vanilla for 3 minutes or until light and fluffy. Gradually add icing sugar, beating until incorporated. Refrigerate for 1 hour.
- With a spoon or palette knife, spread frosting over tops of cooled cakes, then decorate as desired with assorted sweets. Un-iced cakes can be made a day ahead and stored in an airtight container.