Bring the circus to your kid's party it's full of exciting and delicious treats!
- 3 x 370g packets moist chocolate cake
- 6 eggs
- 60g butter
- 2 x 160g packets strawberry-flavoured sour straps
- 2 x 250g packets Jaffas
- 500g butter, softened
- 6 cups icing sugar mixture
- Yellow food colouring
- Blue food colouring
- Preheat oven to 180°C/160°C fan-forced. Grease a 7cm-deep, 22cm (base) round cake pan. Line base and side with baking paper. Grease a 23cm (top) fluted ring pan.
- Prepare cakes following packet directions, using 3 cups cold water. Divide batter evenly between prepared pans. Bake ring pan for 40 to 45 minutes or until a skewer inserted in centre of cake comes out clean. Stand for 10 minutes. Turn out onto a wire rack to cool. Bake round pan for 1 hour to 1 hour 10 minutes or until a skewer inserted in centre of cake comes out clean. Stand for 10 minutes. Turn out onto a wire rack to cool (see tip).
- Make butter cream icing: Using an electric mixer, beat butter in a bowl until pale. Add icing sugar mixture, 1 cup at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat until thick and fluffy. Divide icing into 2 bowls. Tint 1 batch yellow and 1 batch blue.
- Using a serrated knife, level top of round cake and bottom of ring cake. Place round cake, cut-side down, on a plate. Spread cut side of ring cake with a little icing. Place, icing side-down, on top of round cake.
- Cover round cake with icing, alternating colours (you will need 4 yellow sections and 4 blue sections). Repeat with ring cake and remaining icing, alternating colours. Arrange sour straps over top of cake where icings join (you will need 2 per stripe). Cut a scalloped edge along 1 side of 6 sour straps. Place straps around side of cake where the 2 cakes join, using a little icing to stick where needed. Arrange Jaffas around base of cake.
- Fill centre of fluted ring cake with remaining Jaffas. Insert flag into centre of Jaffas. Serve.