Made with in-season berries, this moist cake is easy to whip up for any family occasion.
- 250g unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1/4 cups caster sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 1/4 cups self-raising flour
- 1 cup milk
- 300g frozen or fresh mixed berries
- thick cream, to serve
- extra mixed berries, to serve
- Preheat oven to 160°C. Spray a 25cm fluted ring pan with oil spray.
- Place the butter and sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer and beat until pale and creamy. Gradually add the eggs, one at a time, and beat well after each addition. Sift the flour over the butter mixture and fold through along with the milk.
- Place the berries in a clean, dry bowl and mash with a fork. Fold into the cake mixture. Spoon the mixture into the prepared pan, smoothing the surface with a palate knife.
- Bake for 1 hour or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Set aside in the pan to cool slightly before turning onto a wire rack to cool completely. Slice and serve with extra berries and thick cream.