A fantastic vegetarian midweek wonder high in fibre and flavour.
- 1 bunch (280g) baby beetroots, trimmed
- 1 (540g) orange sweet potato, peeled, roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 150g low-fat feta, crumbled
- 1/4 cup walnuts, lightly toasted, chopped
- 3 sheets frozen reduced-fat shortcrust pastry, partially thawed
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- Baby spinach leaves, to serve
- 2 cups fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 1 cup fresh oregano leaves
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 eschalot, peeled
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat oven to 200C/180C fan-forced. Line 2 large baking trays with baking paper.
- Wash beetroot. Pat dry. Wrap each beetroot in foil. Place in a roasting pan. Roast for 35 minutes or until tender. Set aside for 10 minutes or until cool enough to handle. Remove and discard foil. Wearing kitchen gloves, peel each beetroot and roughly chop.
- Meanwhile, place sweet potato in a saucepan. Cover with cold water. Bring to the boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium. Simmer for 10 minutes or until tender. Drain well. Add honey to sweet potato. Mash until almost smooth.
- Meanwhile, make Chimichurri: Place parsley, oregano, garlic, eschalot and vinegar in a food processor. Process until finely chopped and a paste forms. Scrape down sides. With the motor running, add oil in a thin, steady stream. Process until almost smooth and combined. Season with salt and pepper.
- Place beetroot, sweet potato, fetta, walnuts and 1 tablespoon chimichurri in a large bowl. Gently stir to combine. Cut each pastry sheet evenly into quarters. Place 1 pastry piece on a flat surface. Spoon 1/4 cup beetroot mixture onto 1 half. Lightly brush edges with egg. Fold pastry over to enclose filling and form a triangle. Press edges together to seal. Using your fingers, crimp and fold to create a wavy edge. Place on 1 prepared baking tray. Repeat with remaining pastry pieces, beetroot mixture and egg. Brush tops with egg.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden. Serve with spinach leaves and remaining chimichurri.