Mouth-watering Japanese flavours spring to life in this succulent beef steak with a side of crunchy corn salad.
- 100ml Japanese rice wine vinegar
- 1/3 cup (80ml) light soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 1/2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3cm piece fresh ginger, peeled, finely grated
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 500g beef fillet steak, thinly sliced
- Oil, to grease
- Steamed rice, to serve
- 125g baby corn, quartered lengthways
- 2 Lebanese cucumbers, halved crossways, cut into matchsticks
- 150g bean shoots
- 100g chargrilled red capsicum, cut into strips
- Combine the rice vinegar, soy sauce, sesame oil, brown sugar, ginger and garlic in a glass or ceramic bowl. Stir in the beef. Set aside for 5 minutes.
- Drain the beef into a strainer over a small saucepan. Bring the marinade to the boil. Boil until reduced slightly.
- Meanwhile, lightly grease a chargrill pan and heat over a high heat. In batches, cook the beef for 1 minute each side or until golden. Transfer to a plate.
- Combine the baby corn, cucumber, bean shoots and capsicum. Top with the beef and drizzle with the marinade. Serve with rice.