Forget about eating out this hearty Japanese feast of beef kushiyaki (which means 'skewer grilled') with zingy potato salad is better than bought!
- 60ml (1/4 cup) soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sake
- 1 tablespoon caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, finely grated
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 600g thick scotch fillet steak, trimmed, cut into 6mm-thick slices
- 750g chat potatoes, halved
- 1 tablespoon grapeseed oil
- 6 green shallots, trimmed, halved
- 3/4 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1/2 sheet nori seaweed, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons sesame seeds
- 60g (1/4 cup) Kewpie Mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon wasabi paste
- Steamed Asian greens, to serve
- Combine the soy sauce, sake, sugar, ginger and garlic in a shallow dish. Add beef. Set aside for 10 minutes to marinate. Drain excess marinade and thread the beef onto small bamboo skewers.
- Meanwhile, place the potato in a saucepan and cover with water. Bring to the boil over medium-high heat. Simmer for 9 minutes or until just tender. Drain. Transfer to a bowl. Add the grapeseed oil, shallot and 1/4 tsp sesame oil. Season and toss to coat.
- Heat the remaining sesame oil in a small frying pan over medium heat. Add the chopped nori and sesame seeds and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes or until toasted.
- Heat a chargrill or barbecue on medium-high. Cook potato, turning, for 5 minutes or until charred. Transfer to a bowl. Cook shallot, turning, for 4 minutes or until charred. Transfer to bowl. Cool slightly.
- Spray beef with oil. Cook, turning, for 2 minutes for medium or until beef is cooked to your liking. Transfer to a plate. Cover loosely with foil.
- Combine the mayonnaise, vinegar and wasabi in a bowl. Add to the potato mixture. Toss to coat. Serve beef with the greens and potato salad, sprinkled with the nori mixture.