Entertain this spring with these delicious Japanese-style beef skewers served on steamed rice with carrot and cucumber pickle.
- 1/4 cup (60ml) white vinegar
- 3 teaspoons caster sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large carrot, peeled into ribbons
- 1 Lebanese cucumber, peeled into ribbons
- 1/4 cup (60ml) soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon mirin
- 1 teaspoon ginger, finely grated
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 kg Australian beef porterhouse steak, trimmed, cut into 3cm pieces
- 2 large zucchini, peeled into ribbons
- Toasted sesame seeds, to serve
- Steamed jasmine rice, to serve
- Soak 12 bamboo skewers in water for 30 mins prior to cooking. Place vinegar, 1 teaspoon of the sugar, salt and 1 tablespoon water in a small saucepan over low heat. Cook, stirring to dissolve the sugar for 2-3 mins. Remove from heat. Pour over combined carrot and cucumber. Set aside.
- Place soy, mirin, ginger, garlic, sesame oil and remaining sugar in a large glass or ceramic dish. Stir until sugar dissolves. Add beef and toss to coat. Cover and set aside for 30 mins to allow the flavours to develop.
- Thread beef and zucchini ribbons alternately onto skewers. Preheat a barbecue or chargrill over high heat. Cook yakitori for 10-12 mins, turning, until browned on all sides and cooked through.
- Drain the pickled carrot and cucumber. Sprinkle yakitori with sesame seeds and serve with steamed rice and carrot and cucumber pickle on the side.