Make entertaining easier - simply pass around a platter of these tasty pastries.
- 1 tablespoon Lupi extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small brown onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 400g beef mince
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chilli powder
- 1/2 cup sultanas
- 1 tablespoon plain flour
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 3/4 cup Massel beef stock
- 5 sheets frozen ready-rolled shortcrust pastry, partially thawed
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- salad leaves and warm mango salsa, to serve
- Heat oil in a large non-stick frying pan over medium-low heat. Add onion and garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until onion softens. Increase heat to medium-high. Add mince. Cook, stirring with a wooden spoon to break up mince, for 5 minutes or until browned. Reduce heat to medium-low. Add cumin, chilli powder, sultanas and flour. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add vinegar and stock. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat. Cool completely.
- Preheat oven to 200°C. Grease 2 oven trays. Using an 11cm round cutter, cut 18 rounds from pastry sheets. Place 1 1/2 tablespoons of mince mixture in the centre of each round. Fold over to enclose filling. Press edges together with a fork to seal. Place empanadas on oven trays. Brush with egg. Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown. Serve with salad leaves and warm mango salsa.