Whet your appetite with this beautiful Turkish-inspired recipe.
- 250ml (1 cup) milk
- 60g butter, chopped
- 1 1/2 tablespoons caster sugar
- 7g sachet dried yeast
- 675g (4 1/2 cups) plain flour
- 1 egg yolk
- 80ml (1/3 cup) olive oil
- 1kg beef oyster blade or chuck steak, cut into 1cm pieces
- 1 large onion, roughly chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Turkish pepper paste
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 2 1/2 tablespoons oregano leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried chilli flakes (optional)
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 300g (2 cups) kashkaval cheese, grated (see note)
- To make filling, heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large frying pan over mediumhigh heat. Add beef and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until browned. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Heat remaining 2 tablespoons oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic, and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until softened. Add pepper paste, tomato paste, paprika, oregano and chilli (if using), and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes or until fragrant. Add beef, tomatoes and 60ml (1/4 cup) water. Bring to a simmer and cook over low heat for 50 minutes or until meat is tender and liquid is reduced. Season with salt and pepper, then transfer to a bowl. Cool.
- Meanwhile, to make pide dough, warm milk and butter in a small saucepan over low heat for 3 minutes or until butter melts and mixture is lukewarm. Set aside.
- Combine sugar and 125ml (1/2 cup) lukewarm water in a small bowl, then scatter over yeast. Set aside for 8 minutes or until foamy.
- Combine milk and yeast mixtures in a large bowl, add flour and 2 teaspoons salt, then stir to form a dough. Turn out onto a lightly floured work surface and knead for 6 minutes or until smooth and elastic. Roll into a ball, place in an oiled bowl and turn to coat. Cover with plastic wrap and set aside in a warm place to prove for 1 hour or until doubled in size.
- To make an egg wash for pide, whisk egg yolk with 1 1/2 tablespoons water. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 200C. Lightly grease 2 large oven trays. On a lightly floured work surface, knock down dough and divide into 8. Working with one portion at a time, roll into a 16cm x 25cm oval. Place 1/4 cup cheese in the centre, then top with one-eighth of the filling, leaving a 2.5cm border around the edge. Brush border with egg wash, then pull dough up and fold over to partially cover the filling. Pleat edge, then press down firmly. Brush dough with egg wash and transfer to trays. Bake, swapping trays halfway, for 20 minutes or until golden.
- Slice or serve whole immediately.