Aromatic potatoes make a mouth-watering side to a traditional roast dinner.
- 2 small onions
- 8 cloves
- 1kg small chat potatoes
- 50g butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 bay leaves, torn
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked sweet Spanish paprika
- 1 1/2 tablespoons tomato paste
- Halve onions and stud with cloves, then place in a saucepan with potatoes, cover with water and cook over medium heat until potatoes are almost tender. Drain well, then spread out on a tray to dry.
- Remove cloves from onions and discard, then cut onions into wedges.
- Heat butter, oil, bay leaves and paprika in a frying pan until just sizzling, add potatoes and onions and cook, tossing, until lightly browned. Add paste and cook for 2 - 3 minutes or until darkened in colour.