Brighten up your dinner table with this juicy steak and avocado salad by Curtis Stone.
- 1 (1 cup) red onion, thinly sliced into rings
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 1/3 cup fresh lime juice, plus 2 tbsp extra
- 600g Australian beef scotch fillet steaks
- 1/2 cup fresh coriander leaves, packed
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/3 cup olive oil, plus 2 tsp extra
- 2 avocados, firm but ripe, peeled, pitted, cut into quarters
- 125g baby spinach
- 40g red oak or red symphony lettuce, torn (about 1/2 a lettuce)
- 4 (120g) radishes, thinly sliced
- 1 (80g) medium carrot, cut into matchstick-sized pieces
- 1/4 cup pepitas, toasted
- In a bowl, combine the sliced onion, vinegar, 1/3 cup of the lime juice, and 1 teaspoon of fine sea salt. Cover and set aside at room temperature for at least 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Meanwhile, remove the steaks from the refrigerator about 20 minutes before grilling to bring them to room temperature. Place the steaks on a baking tray and prepare the barbecue for medium-high heat.
- In a small food processor, blend the coriander, garlic, 2 tablespoons of the pickling liquid from the onions, and the remaining 2 tablespoons of lime juice until the garlic is minced. With the machine running, slowly pour in 1/3 cup of the oil, until the vinaigrette is well blended. Season with salt.
- Season the steaks generously with salt. Barbecue the steaks for about 6 minutes, turning once, or until nicely charred on both sides and the internal temperature is 50°C for medium-rare doneness. Transfer the steaks to a carving board and rest for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, coat the avocado wedges with the remaining 2 teaspoons oil. Barbecue the avocado wedges cut-side down for about 3 minutes, or until marks have formed. Discard the peel and set the avocado wedges aside.
- Just before serving, in a large bowl, toss the spinach, oak leaves, radishes, and carrots with enough vinaigrette to coat. Season with salt. Divide the salad among 4 plates. Slice the steaks against the grain and place over the salad. Garnish with the pickled onions, pumpkin seeds, and avocado. Drizzle with more vinaigrette and serve.