Transform fresh juicy prawns into a spectacular starter with garlic chilli and saffron mayonnaise.
- 16 (about 650g) large green king prawns, peeled leaving tails intact, deveined
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 small red chilli, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 pinches of saffron threads
- 1 tablespoon hot water
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 cup (250ml) olive oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Combine prawns, garlic, chilli and olive oil in a medium bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and place in the fridge for 2 hours to marinate.
- Meanwhile make mayonnaise: To make the saffron mayonnaise, place saffron and 1 tablespoon of hot water in a small cup and set aside for 10 minutes to soak. Place the egg yolks in the bowl of a food processor and process until frothy. With motor running, gradually add oil in a thin, steady stream and process until thick. Add lemon juice and saffron water and process until smooth. Taste and season with salt and pepper. Transfer to a container, or cover with plastic wrap and place in the fridge to chill.
- Preheat a lightly greased barbecue or char-grill plate to high. Drizzle prawns with a little more oil. Cook, turning occasionally, for 2 minutes or until prawns change colour and curl. Serve immediately with the saffron mayonnaise.