Coated in panko crumbs, these crispy, gingery Japanese-style meatballs taste great with an extra squirt of barbecue sauce.
- 500g pork mince
- 1 egg, lightly whisked
- 2 tablespoons barbecue sauce
- 2 teaspoons finely grated fresh ginger
- 60g (1 cup) panko breadcrumbs
- Vegetable oil, to deep-fry
- Baby cos lettuce leaves, to serve
- Coarsely grated carrot, to serve
- Barbecue sauce, extra, to serve
- Line a baking tray with baking paper. Combine the mince, egg, barbecue sauce, ginger and 15g (1/4 cup) of the breadcrumbs in a large bowl. Season. Roll 3-teaspoon portions of the mince mixture into balls. Roll in remaining breadcrumbs to coat. Place on prepared tray. Cover and place in the fridge for 30 minutes to rest.
- Add enough oil to a wok to reach a depth of 6cm. Heat to 180°C over medium-high heat (when oil is ready a cube of bread turns golden brown in 15 seconds). Cook the meatballs in 3 batches, turning occasionally, for 5 minutes or until crisp and golden. Transfer to a plate lined with paper towel.
- Serve on lettuce leaves with carrot and extra barbecue sauce.