Try this sweet balsamic steak served with crispy potatoes and vibrant pickled onions.
- 1 small red onion, very thinly sliced into rounds
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon wholegrain mustard
- 1 tablespoon caster sugar
- 500g baby chat potatoes
- 1/3 cup balsamic glaze
- 1/4 cup fresh thyme leaves
- 4 x 150g beef rump steaks, trimmed
- 50g butter
- Steamed green beans and sliced carrot, to serve
- Combine onion, vinegar, mustard and sugar in a bowl. Set aside for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place potatoes in a large saucepan. Cover with cold water. Bring to the boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer for 10 to 12 minutes or until just tender. Drain well. Stand for 5 minutes. Transfer to a plate. Using the back of a fork, press on each potato to flatten slightly.
- Meanwhile, combine glaze and thyme in a shallow glass or ceramic dish. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside. Heat a large non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat. Cook steaks for 3 to 4 minutes each side, for medium, or until cooked to your liking. Transfer steak to glaze mixture in dish. Turn to coat. Cover loosely with foil. Set aside for 5 minutes to rest.
- Add butter and potato to pan over high heat. Cook for 5 minutes, turning potato carefully, or until golden and crisp. Serve steak with potato, drained onion mixture, steamed beans and carrots.