Enjoy your favourite Middle Eastern dessert with none of the guilt in this low-kilojoule version.
- 50g reduced-fat dairy spread (Devondale brand), melted
- 85g (3/4 cup) coarsely ground walnuts
- 65g (1/2 cup) coarsely ground blanched almonds
- 60g (1 cup) plain sponge cake crumbs
- 2 tablespoons caster sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 11 sheets filo pastry (Antoniou brand), halved crossways
- 1 lemon
- 115g (1/2 cup) caster sugar
- 185ml (3/4 cup) water
- 60ml (1/4 cup) honey
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 whole clove
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Brush a 20 x 30cm (base measurement) lamington pan with a little of the melted spread to lightly grease.
- To make the syrup, use a vegetable peeler to cut rind from lemon (avoiding any white pith) and place in a saucepan. Add sugar, water, honey, cinnamon stick and clove. Stir over low heat until sugar dissolves. Bring to a simmer over medium heat and cook, uncovered, for 2 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, combine the walnuts, almonds, cake crumbs, sugar, cinnamon and cloves in a bowl and mix well. Set aside.
- Place filo pastry on a clean work surface. Cover with a clean tea towel, then a damp tea towel. Brush 1 filo sheet lightly with spread. Place another sheet on top and brush lightly with spread. Repeat with another 5 sheets to make a 7-sheet stack. Repeat with remaining filo and spread to make two more stacks (discard remaining sheet of filo).
- Place a filo stack in the prepared pan. Spoon half the nut filling into the pan and spread evenly. Place another stack on top of filling and trim to fit. Spoon remaining nut filling on top and spread evenly. Place remaining stack on top and trim to fit. Use a very sharp knife to cut carefully through all layers into thirds lengthways. Holding the edge of the pieces, cut crossways on the diagonal into sixths (to make 14 diamond-shaped pieces). Bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes. Cover with foil and bake for a further 20 minutes or until golden.
- Remove baklava from oven and pour the cooled syrup evenly over the top. Set aside for 2 hours to cool. Cut through the marked lines and serve with Greek coffee, if desired.