Sweeten up your weekends with the bee-eautiful honey treat.
- 1 cup natural almond kernels
- 1/2 cup pistachio kernels
- 1/2 cup pecan nuts
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 375g packet filo pastry
- 100g butter, melted
- 3/4 cup caster sugar
- 1/2 cup honey
- Preheat oven to 180°C/160°C fan-forced. Grease a 4cm-deep, 23cm x 33cm (base) baking dish.
- Process almonds, pistachios, pecans, walnuts, cinnamon, ginger and cloves until finely chopped. Spread mixture evenly over a baking tray. Bake for 5 to 6 minutes or until just golden. Cool.
- Place 1 pastry sheet on a flat surface. Brush with butter. Top with 1 pastry sheet. Repeat with butter and 2 pastry sheets. Line base of prepared dish with pastry stack, allowing pastry to overhang. Sprinkle with one-quarter nut mixture. Fold in overhanging pastry. Repeat layers with remaining pastry, butter and nut mixture. Trim top layer to fit dish. Brush top with butter.
- Cut into 32 rectangles. Bake for 20 minutes or until golden. Reduce temperature to 150°C/130°C fan-forced. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until pastry is cooked through.
- Meanwhile, make syrup Combine sugar, honey and 1 cup cold water in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Cook, stirring, for 3 minutes or until sugar has dissolved. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to medium-low. Boil for 5 minutes or until slightly thickened.
- Pour hot syrup over hot baklava. Cool. Refrigerate for 2 hours or until cold. Serve.