Sweet strawberries are the perfect complement to the creamy baked custard.
- 3 eggs
- 3 egg yolks
- 300ml cream
- 2 cups (500ml) milk
- 3/4 cup (165g) caster sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla essence
- 500g fresh strawberries, hulled, quartered lengthways
- 1/3 cup (55g) icing sugar
- 50ml Grand Marnier liqueur
- 2 strips orange zest
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Whisk eggs, yolks, cream, milk, sugar and vanilla in a medium bowl. Pour mixture through a sieve into a 5 cup capacity ovenproof dish. Place dish in a roasting pan and pour enough boiling water in the pan to come halfway up the side of the dish. Bake for about 50 minutes until golden brown and just set. Remove from oven and roasting pan and allow to cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, combine the strawberries, icing sugar, liqueur and zest in a medium bowl and stand at room temperature.
- When custard is ready to be served, place strawberry mixture in a small saucepan and simmer over low heat for a few minutes, stirring occasionally, until strawberries have softened slightly and become syrupy. Serve immediately over a scoop of custard.