Enjoy the delicate, slightly nutty flavour of fresh globe artichokes in this hearty recipe for baked artichokes with cannellini beans and thyme breadcrumbs.
- 1 lemon, halved
- 4 globe artichokes
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 brown onion, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 1 celery stick, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 cup salt-reduced chicken stock
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 400g can Cannellini Beans, rinsed, drained
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon chopped thyme
- Flat-leaf parsley leaves, to serve
- Pan-fried Australian salmon fillets (optional), to serve
- Preheat oven to 200C (180C fan-forced). Squeeze 1 lemon half into a large bowl of cold water. Remove artichoke stems. Cut 3cm from the top of 1 artichoke. Rub cut sides with the remaining lemon half. Peel and discard 2 layers of outer petals until pale petals are exposed. Use a teaspoon to scoop out and discard furry choke from the centre of the artichoke. Place in the lemon water. Repeat with remaining artichokes.
- Place artichokes in a large saucepan and cover with cold water. Bring to the boil over high heat. Cook for 15 mins or until tender. Drain well.
- Meanwhile, heat half the oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Cook the onion, carrot, celery and garlic, stirring, for 5 mins or until onion softens. Add the stock and wine and bring to the boil. Remove from heat. Stir in the beans and season.
- Spoon half the bean mixture into the base of a 2L dish. Top with the artichokes and fill with remaining bean mixture.
- Combine the breadcrumbs, thyme and remaining oil in a small bowl. Season. Sprinkle over bean mixture. Bake for 20 mins or until golden brown and heated through. Sprinkle with parsley and serve with pan-fried salmon, if desired.