Everyone will love this spectacular dessert, which offers a creative take on the traditional favourites.
- 6 egg yolks
- 125g caster sugar
- 900ml thick cream, plus extra to serve
- 150g good-quality dark chocolate
- 40g good-quality cocoa powder, sifted
- 250g Nutella
- 1-2 tablespoons hazelnut syrup*
- 2-3 Baci chocolates, quartered, to garnish
- Whisk together the egg yolks and sugar until light.
- Place 600ml of the cream in a saucepan over medium heat until at scalding point. Add to the egg yolk mixture, beating to combine.
- Melt chocolate in a heatproof bowl over a saucepan of simmering water (don't let the bowl touch the water). Cool slightly, then stir cream mixture into chocolate.
- Add cocoa, place in a saucepan and cook over low heat until thickened. Cool a little, whisk in Nutella and syrup, then cool further. Whip remaining cream and fold into chocolate mixture.
- Lightly grease a 25 x 11cm terrine and line with plastic wrap. Fill the terrine with the ice-cream and smooth the top. Freeze overnight or until firm. Remove from the freezer, dip the base of the terrine in a little warm water, then gently ease out onto a serving platter, discarding the plastic wrap. To serve, garnish with the extra cream and the chopped chocolates.