No-one will be able to resist this creamy gelato with chocolate and hazelnuts.
- 2 cups (500ml) pure (thin) cream
- 2 cups (500ml) milk
- 1 vanilla bean, split, seeds scraped
- 300g caster sugar
- 5 egg yolks
- 220g Nutella or other hazelnut spread
- Cocoa powder, to dust
- 1 1/4 cups (185g) hazelnuts
- 200g good-quality white chocolate, chopped
- Place the cream, milk, vanilla pod and seeds and 150g sugar in a pan over medium heat, stirring to dissolve sugar. Bring to just below boiling point, then remove from the heat.
- Beat the yolks and remaining 150g sugar with electric beaters until pale. Slowly add the hot cream mixture, whisking well to combine. Pour into a clean pan and cook gently over low heat for 3-4 minutes, stirring constantly until the mixture is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon. Remove from the heat and discard the vanilla pod. Stir in the Nutella until well combined.
- Pour mixture into a shallow container. Freeze for 2 hours or until frozen at the edges. Remove and beat with electric beaters, then return to the container and refreeze. Repeat 2 or 3 times, then freeze for 4 hours or until fi rm. Alternatively, churn mixture in an ice cream machine according to manufacturer's instructions.
- For the hazelnut slab, preheat the oven to 180°C. Spread the nuts on a baking tray, then toast for 6-8 minutes Ã¢‚¬€œ watching carefully as they can burn. Tip onto a clean tea towel and rub to remove skins. Spread nuts on a baking paper-lined tray. Place the chocolate in a heatproof bowl over a pan of simmering water (donÃ¢‚¬„¢t let the bowl touch the water), stir gently until melted, then pour over the nuts. Cool slightly, then chill for 30 minutes until set. Break into shards.
- Scoop ice cream into bowls, dust with cocoa and serve with chocolate shards.