The English crumpet meets the Aussie burger - beef, beetroot and a runny fried egg.
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 500g beef mince
- 4 eggs
- 8 Golden Crumpets, toasted
- 4 baby cos lettuce leaves, torn
- 1 tomato, thinly sliced
- 100g cooked beetroot, thinly sliced
- Tomato sauce, to serve
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Cook the onion, stirring occasionally, for 7 minutes or until well browned. Season and set aside.
- Meanwhile, divide the mince into 4 portions and shape each portion into a patty the same width as the crumpets.
- Cook the patties in the same pan over medium-high heat for 2 minutes each side or until browned. Season. Reduce heat to medium and cook for a further 4 minutes or until cooked through. Set aside loosely covered with foil.
- Meanwhile, heat remaining 2 teaspoons of oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Crack 4 eggs into the pan and cook for 3 minutes or until the whites are set.
- Divide 4 crumpets between 4 plates. Top with lettuce, tomato, beetroot, patties, onion and egg. Drizzle a little tomato sauce if you like and finish with remaining crumpets. Use a small toothpick to hold each burger in place.