Add asparagus and goat's cheese to the mix for an elegant vegetarian frittata.
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 leek, pale section only, washed, dried, thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 2 bunches asparagus, woody ends trimmed, cut into 4cm lengths
- 4 eggs
- 4 egg whites
- 50g goat's cheese (South Cape brand), crumbled
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves
- Salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Olive oil, to grease
- Heat the oil in a medium frying pan over medium heat. Add the leek and cook, stirring, for 4 minutes or until soft. Add the garlic and cook for a further 1 minute. Remove from heat and set aside for 5 minutes to cool.
- Meanwhile, cook the asparagus in a medium saucepan of boiling water for 3 minutes or until bright green and tender crisp. Refresh under cold running water. Drain.
- Use a wire balloon whisk to whisk together the eggs and egg whites in a large bowl until well combined. Stir in the leek mixture, asparagus, goat's cheese and thyme. Season with salt and pepper.
- Preheat grill on medium-high. Heat a 23cm (base measurement) non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Brush the frying pan with olive oil to lightly grease. Pour the egg mixture into the prepared pan and use a spoon to smooth the mixture so the asparagus and cheese are submerged. Cook for 7 minutes or until the outer edge sets. Place the frying pan under the preheated grill and cook for a further 3-4 minutes or until golden brown and just set. Remove from grill. Set aside for 10 minutes to set. Cut frittata into wedges to serve.