This delicious pulled beef tastes delicious on a bed of rice, in a steamed bun or just in a sandwich.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1.5kg piece beef chuck
- 4 eschalots, thinly sliced
- 5 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tablespoon grated ginger
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- Preheat oven to 180C or 160C fan-forced.
- Heat oil in a large heavy-based ovenproof saucepan over medium-high Heat. Cook beef for 10-12 minutes or until well browned all over. Set aside.
- Reduce heat to medium. Cook eschalot, stirring, for 5 minutes or until softened. Add garlic and ginger and cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until fragrant. Add soy, sugar and 1 cup water. Return beef to pan and turn to coat. Bring to the boil. Cover and cook, in oven for 2 hours or until very tender.
- Transfer beef to a board. Shred meat using 2 forks.
- Meanwhile, bring cooking liquid to the boil. Simmer for 5 minutes or until reduced by half. Stir in fish sauce and return beef to pan. Toss to coat. Cook over medium heat, stirring, or until sauce thickens.