Mouth-watering Asian flavours spring to life in this low-fat Asian beef broth.
- 6 cups (1 1/2 litres) beef stock
- 3 shallots, trimmed and finely sliced
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- Pinch of ground star anise
- 2 beef porterhouse steaks, trimmed and very thinly sliced across the grain
- 1/2 bunch baby choy sum, cut into 5cm lengths
- 150g shimeji mushrooms, trimmed
- 100g bean shoots, trimmed
- 1/2 cup fresh Thai basil leaves
- In a medium-sized saucepan bring stock, shallots, ginger, fish sauce and star anise to the boil. Remove from heat and add the beef immediately. Ladle hot soup into serving bowls and serve with choy sum, mushrooms, bean shoots and basil for your guests to add themselves.