A popular frozen dairy dessert from India, this sweet dessert is full of apricot and nutty flavours.
- Vegetable oil, to grease
- 375ml (1 1/2 cups) milk
- 185ml (3/4 cup) sweetened condensed milk
- 10 cardamom pods, bruised (see note)
- 55g (1/3 cup) chopped dried apricots
- 40g (1/4 cup) chopped pistachio kernels
- Brush six 125ml (1/2-cup) capacity metal moulds with oil to lightly grease. Place on a baking tray. Combine the milk, condensed milk and cardamom pods in a medium saucepan and stir over medium heat for 2 minutes or until just simmering. Remove from heat and set aside for 30 minutes to allow the flavours to develop. Strain. Discard cardamom pods.
- Combine apricots and pistachios in a small bowl. Divide evenly among moulds. Pour over the cooled milk mixture.
- Cover loosely with foil and place in the freezer for 6-8 hours or until frozen.
- To serve, remove from freezer and set aside for 5 minutes before turning out onto serving plates.