Serve warm apple pudding with creamy smooth ice-cream for an indulgent autumn dessert.
- 6 Granny Smith apples
- 1/2 cup caster sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 eggs, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1/2 cup self-raising flour
- 1/2 teaspoon mixed spice icing sugar, ice-cream and whipped cream, to serve
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Lightly grease a 5-cup capacity ovenproof dish.
- Peel, core and chop apples. Place in a saucepan with 1/4 cup sugar and water. Cook, partially covered, over medium heat for 5 to 8 minutes or until apple is tender. Drain excess liquid. Spoon apple into prepared dish. Cover to keep warm.
- Using an electric mixer, beat eggs until light and fluffy. Add remaining 1/4 cup sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating until thick and creamy. Stir in vanilla.
- Sift flour and mixed spice over batter. Using a metal spoon, fold through batter. Pour over hot stewed apple.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the sponge comes out clean. Dust with icing sugar. Serve pudding hot with ice-cream and cream.