For a velvety smooth dessert, give apple sorbet a boost with French brandy.
- 500g Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, finely chopped
- 150g caster sugar
- 1 cup (250ml) apple juice
- 1/2 cup (125ml) Calvados (see note)
- Place the chopped apple into a saucepan with the sugar and 150ml water. Cook over medium heat for 8-10 minutes until mixture is soft and pulpy. Press through a sieve, add juice to the apple puree, and stir to combine.
- Pour the mixture into a shallow container and place in freezer until frozen at the edges, then remove and beat with an electric beater. Pour back into the container and refreeze. Repeat 2 or 3 times. (Alternatively, use an ice-cream machine following manufacturer's directions.) Serve a scoop of sorbet in each dish, and pour over a tablespoon of Calvados.